Day 1 - Sydney, Australia

September 15, 2018

I found this in my draft and decided to just post it without pictures. I'll just edit it later when I'm not lazy to add the pics in....

Back in February, my boyfriend and I took a spontaneous trip to Australia. Our tickets were booked like 2-days in advance. It was that spontaneous. I wanted to go on a trip before moving to Japan, but I'm not much of a spontaneous traveler, however my boyfriend is. I like to plan my trips months in advance, so I let my boyfriend do all the planning.  He's been there before, but it was my first time!


We flew on Hawaiian Airlines (first class 😍) It was my first time ever flying in those "lay flats". It was definitely a treat! The flight was said to be 9 hours 45 mins from Honolulu, however it felt like less. I pretty much watched some movies and slept. We left on a Sunday afternoon, however we wouldn't land until Monday night in Brisbane, Australia. Losing over a day was disappointing. We landed and slept at the airport's hotel, heading to Sydney early the next morning. The flight was 1 hour 30 mins.

We stayed at a beautiful 5-star historical hotel with a clock tower, The Westin Sydney. It was too bad we were only staying there for one night... Anyways, we washed up and would stroll around and find something to eat. My boyfriend's friend recommended we try "The Grounds of the City". Oh my goodness, this spot was adorable! Perfect spot for perfect gram photos. The food was a little pricey, but I think everything in Australia is expensive (besides Tim Tams lol).

Next on our list was to check out the Sydney Fish Market, which was about a 30-min walk from brunch. I told my boyfriend that we should walk there so I could explore the city. Damn, being from Hawaii where everywhere is pretty much flat, I was dying walking those hills of Sydney. We got to walk through Darling Harbour too! We definitely needed to catch an uber back to our hotel later haha.

After finally making it to the fish market, I was still so bloated to eat anything. We walked around a bit and decided that we needed to try at least one thing since we came all the way here. And of course we chose oysters. We tried several different oysters of Sydney, and it was interesting how I could actually distinguish the tastes (usually I can't tell anything lol).

My boyfriend's friend also recommended to check out Vic's Meat Market, which was across the parking lot. I'm not a big meat eater but my boyfriend had to order something haha. Sorry, didn't get a picture of it, but it sure smelled good.

We then headed tooooo the harbor!! Even though I've been in Australia for half a day, it still didn't really feel like Australia until I see the Sydney Opera House and the Sydney Harbour Bridge! The Circular Quay was such a nice stroll with lots of tourists. I really wanted to check out this art museum, but didn't have time. Pretty much just went there to enjoy the sights and take nice photos for the gram, although my boyfriend ain't an Instagram boyfriend that's for sure...

We had to rush back to wash up for dinner. We were meeting up a friend who took us to Hubert's, a French restaurant. It was located underground, which was pretty neat. A little too dark for me, but the ambience was lively. There was a stage where some night's would have live music. Any restaurant with live music has a place in my stomach, I mean heart.

The one thing that stood out to me while exploring the city was the beautiful architecture. Everywhere you look is a unique building or monument. I was seriously in love constantly taking photos.

If we had more time, I would have wanted to check out:

  • BridgeClimb Sydney - Basically climbing the Harbour Bridge! My boyfriend said he has done it before, so didn't feel the need to go again. I honestly would be quivering up there, but the view looks awesome. You can do this during day or night too!
  • Bondi Beach - Of course this was on my To Go list, however it was a bit out of the way since we were only in Sydney for a day. I really wanted to take a basic pic of the Bondi Baths. /cry
  • Museum of Contemporary Art Australia - I love museums so much. Wish I had time to check out the exhibit they had during this time (forgot which one it was). Unfortunately, my boyfriend doesn't like museums of any type... I love trying to take artsy fartsy photos too! Does that mean I have to ask a stranger to take them for me?? 


You Might Also Like

0 ♡